CalAmp and the Environment
CalAmp is committed to acting in an environmentally responsible manner with regard to our technologies, solutions, operations, decision-making, and business activities worldwide. Our employees support that commitment by:
- Ensuring that our technologies and solutions comply with all applicable environmental laws and regulations,
- Responsibly managing the use of hazardous materials in our operations and products.
- Requiring suppliers, partners, and contractors of our environmental expectations and encouraging them to adopt sound environmental management practices, and
- Striving for continuous improvement in its environmental, health and safety management systems and in the environmental quality of its products, processes, and services.
CalAmp’s telematics technologies and solutions empower our global customers to minimize their environmental footprints, by helping them increase fuel efficiency, reduce fuel consumption, lower CO2 emissions, optimize routes with less miles being driven, reduce engine idling and aggressive driving, and maintain optimal vehicle engine performance. Our technologists continue to pioneer innovative technologies and solutions to support the sustainability of businesses of all sizes. Here are just a few examples of how we help protect the environment and build a green economy:
- We partnered with Swiftmile, a pioneer in light electric vehicle charging systems, to deliver the first solar-powered parking and charging stations for the burgeoning micro-mobility market. The stations, integrated with Dacit™ services, will capture telematics data from most major electric scooters (e-scooters) and electric bikes (e-bikes) to improve micro-mobility management, reduce traffic congestion, and minimize the carbon footprint for environmentally conscious municipalities and enterprises.
- We partnered with OjO Electric for an e-scooter sharing program focusing on safety and more sustainable last-mile transportation through collaborations with local municipalities to ensure OjO e-scooters are safe for riders, as well pedestrians, with speed reduction alerts and fleet management capabilities to provide a transit solution that reduces urban litter, keeps citizens safe on the roads, and reduces traffic congestion.
- Our customer, Lansing, Michigan’s publicly owned Board of Water & Light (“BWL”) turned to CalAmp for its fleet management solution. BWL’s initial estimate of field worker productivity projected that the implementation of our solution could result in gains of more than 2% through the automation of work assignments, outage management, time reporting and other factors. This gain of approximately 10 minutes per technician per day, translates into a projected potential cost savings of over $750,000 in the first year of service, increasing to $2.5 million in the third year. BWL estimated that fuel cost reductions of up to 30% percent, or $12,000/month—an annual savings of $144,000—through increased scheduling and routing efficiency.
- Under the California Electronic Waste Recycling Act of 2003 (known as SB20), CalAmp collects a fee from the consumer at the time of purchase to reimburse registered collectors and recyclers for the electronic devices that they collect and recycle in California.
- Under California Proposition 65, officially the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, we provide warnings to California consumers when they might be exposed to chemicals identified by the State of California as causing cancer or reproductive toxicity. The warnings are intended to help California consumers make informed decisions about their exposures to these chemicals from the products they use.
Responsible Mineral Supply Chain
Beginning in calendar year 2013, we implemented a conflict minerals program that includes due diligence measures which are consistent with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Supply Chains of Minerals from Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas. Since 2014, we have filed a Conflict Minerals Report annually with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Corporate Social Responsibility
As a global leader building telematics solutions that empower businesses and industries to transform and thrive in the connected economy, CalAmp is continually committed to improving the economic, social and environmental impact of our business operations. Visit our Corporate Social Responsibility page for more information.